LANGUAGE OF MUSIC
A piano recital with commentary, the Language of Music program imaginatively and creatively points out the meaningful elements of the music at hand so the audience can hear, feel and relate to it in a refreshing and unique way.
Harmonies, rhythms, melodies and moods in the music are pointed out and played, helping listeners to become active, participants in a recital atmosphere. The program is from one hour to ninety minutes of music-making and discussion in the hope of bringing a deeper understanding and appreciation of classical and improvisational music to people of all walks of life ---- both novice and experienced listener.
Ms. Lian chooses a variety of music from Bach, Schumann, Mozart, Brahms, Liszt, Gershwin, Reilly and others, at times including her own spontaneous compositions.
Among many venues such as libraries, churches and private gatherings, the Language of Music program has also been performed at educational institutions such as:
- Fairleigh Dickenson University, Teaneck, NJ
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Boston, MA
- Fordham University, Bronx, NY
- Brooklyn Friends Academy, NY
- Riverdale Country Day School, NYC
- University of Trondheim and Conservatory of Music, Boda, Norway
ABOUT THE ARTIST AS EDUCATOR:
- Teacher of piano, private study and classes --1966 to the present.
- Former faculty, Turtle Bay Music School, NYC
- Former faculty, The New School University, NYC
- Director, All Boys' Chorus, St. Francis Xavier Military Academy, NYC
- Music teacher, K through 8th grade, St. Francis Xavier Grammar School and St. Charles Borromeo School, NYC
- Curriculum Devleopment: Developed and implemented music curriculum for the schools in Molde, Norway and all adjacent districts
- Conducted Music Laboratory for Children in Aosta, Italy
- Lecture presentations on Music Education for children to University faculties in Trondheim, Boda and Tromso, Norway -- sponsored by the American Embassy in Oslo
- Master Classes at Eastern Montana College, for students of Dorothea Cromley
To schedule a lecture performance of the Language of Music program in your area, please contact Ms. Lian at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"What a pleasure and an inspiration it was to see and hear you perform for our Middle School. You were masterful at involving the students in the music and spirit. Your composition based on the contributions of the teachers was brilliant.
"Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us. I know how much it means to our young students to see and know many kinds of people. You are a powerful and special model. I am certain you will have a lasting impact on the lives of many of them."
With warm regards,
Brooklyn Friends School
"Attending Carol Lian's performance is a memorable experience. She makes her audience remarkably conscious of the music and thereby doubles the pleasure of the listener. Her explanations of musical form and genre are delightful. She has audience appeal before, during and after a technically perfect and aesthetically satisfying performance."
Office of Catholic Education
Brooklyn Diocese, New York